28 January 2013

More paper-folding

When I was looking at books the second book I found of interest was Folding Techniques For Designers From Sheet to Form. I found this book to be a great source of inspriation of things to try out and it even comes with a CD-ROM with templates which is very useful for me. The book had a range of things from simple pleating to some very complexed shapes with multiple folds.

[Source] p.85 Folding Techniques For Designers From Sheet to Form

This first example I thought was similar to our workshop when we were taking a net and addapting it and changing it's shape and this shape I found particularly interesting, I'm not sure how I could use this but it may spark some ideas for my practical work.

[Source] p.115 Folding Techniques For Designers From Sheet to Form

I found this piece interesting because of the shape and I like how the book shows how it would look if the folds were reversed, that is something I could possibly take forward into my own work if I was to create a paper structure of some sort which would then be turned inside out or be interactive.

[Source] p.41 Folding Techniques For Designers From Sheet to Form

This particular piece amazed me to thing that this was crafted by hand to be such an amazing shape yet this, and the other examples above, all use the same scoring and foling technique. I think it is a great way, yet again, of showing how much variety can be produced with the same materials. Although I would love to be able to create something like this of my own I think it would be a little too ambitious.