31 January 2013

Who am I as a designer?

Who am I as a designer is a question I have struggled to answer, I have found it hard to think about myself in that way as although I like certain parts of design I think the things which stuck out more when I was thinking about myself were the things I didn't like.
 
However, after thinking about it for a while I have chosen typography as my area of design. I chose typography because while I enjoy it on its own it also dips into other areas of design that I do like but not enough to want to do them all the time; for example it dips into illustration when it is hand drawn and I think it dips even more so into advertising and other 2D media and even sometimes 3D media. Therefore I think my choice of typography is the best way to encompass everything I like about design.
 
After making this choice I started looking at design agencies who work with typography and I found two that I really like.
The first is Central Illustraion, founded in 1983 I like the look of this agency because they work with a wide range of artists and looking at the work of the typographers they don't just take on artists who all follow the same style but there are a range of styles from paper cutting to hand drawn to vintage type, this appealed to me because I like multiple styles of typography (this also posed as a problem for me when looking for an agency).
 
 
[Source] http://centralillustration.com/artistswork.asp?type=typography
  
The other agency I found really excited me as it is more towards the advertising side of things and I really like the work that they have produced. Their work is very digital and not rustic (although a lot of the time I prefer a more rustic style) but one thing I liked about them was that they have worked for big names including Nike which caught my eye. This agency is called I Love Dust. (I actually found this by accident while looking for Dust collective but I'm glad I did)


[Source] http://ilovedust.com/projects/by/type