28 January 2013

Paper-folding

After our workshop on paper engineering I went into the library to look at books based around the subject and I came across a couple of good books, the first one being; New Encyclopedia of Paper-folding Designs. The book mainly features ideas on different ways to fold leaflets etc (may be of use in future projects) but when I looked through I came across some examples which were similar to what we'd been doing in the workshop.

[Source] p.188 New Encyclopedia of Paper-folding Designs

[Source] p. 189 New Encyclopedia of Paper-folding Designs

We can see here from the template and the finished paper leaf that a series of scores have been made to create this 3D effect shape, I think this is effective to a certain degree and if you made lots of these it could be turned into something like a large wall display to give it more context than a single leaf. I think I prefer the second set of leaves with two layers of colour as it adds a bit more interest.

[Source] p.165 New Encyclopedia of Paper-folding Designs

These rabbits caught my eye as they show that applying a simple effect (scoring) to different shapes of paper can turn into something good and interesting.

[Source] p.92 New Encyclopedia of Paper-folding Designs

This net really interested me as something inspiring, I might use an idea like this for my project. I thought it was good because it has an interesting shape and it has a lot of surface area which here is greatly shown my the text going around the outside of the shape. I think something like this is definitely something which you could play with, especially with image and text placement.