6 February 2013

3D work with type

My next step in my work is to look at ideas for representing typography in a 3D way, I decided to do this to look at alternatives for using a boxnet to show myself as a designer because I want my project to be different and stand out from others work. I may go back to boxnets later but I wanted to give myself a different option or way of looking at things as I thought that I could make my 'package' a 3D type piece to show yet more typography and tie everything together.


[Source] p.232 New Encyclopedia of Paper-folding Designs

[Source] p.158/159 The 3D Type Book

[Source] p.192 New Encyclopedia of Paper-folding Designs


[Source] p.16 New Encyclopedia of Paper-folding Designs
 
These first few exaples that I have looked at all go back to the previous research that I did with pop-up and this could still the a possibility for me. I particularly like the second image here which is a book called ABC3D which I found in the library but then found this double page spread of the whole book in another book, I liked the book because it was interesting and as the images show letters formed into other letters by using some open and close tabs operated by page turning for example 'E' turns into 'F'. I think pop-up is a fun way of adding 3D to a 2D piece however although I may include an element of this I think for this project my piece needs to be more obvious with it's 3D element.