7 February 2013

Inspiring 3D work with type

While looking through The 3D Type Book, I found some pieces which really inspired me and have given me ideas for how to present my work. In this project I think this book is the best thing i have found.
 
[Source] p.111 The 3D Type Boook
 
I really like this piece, somehow I can imagine it as sky scrapers on the Newyork grid just because it has height and that is shown in the close up photos of the piece. I think with my project I will experiment with creating 3D lettering like this and then there is also the possibility to do more with it with both design and the layout of it when it is put together into one piece. I think this could be a great way of demonstrating typography to my chosen agency however it could aslo be too much but I shall experiment with this.
 
[Source] p.23 The 3D Type Book
 
I think this is a really good idea. I think one thing which is hard about this project is finding a creative way to include all 4 pieces of information about us as a designer and this wound be a great way to create a piece which also says something about you. This would give the message that you care about the environment or you want to use materials in a certain way and the you could have 4 rolls that pull out each with a piece of information on about you. This is an idea that I am definitely considering using even though it has come very late in my research. In order to make it more original I might combine it with another idea.
 
[Source] p.23 New Encyclopedia of Paper-folding Designs
 
I also like this idea and I did something similar with patterns in my paper experiments. I like how the text and image are slightly distorted adding interest but are still ledgible. My only concern with this is that it is too flat, is it 3D enough for this project?
 
[Source] p.163 The 3D Type Book
 
I think this is a great extention to my early reasech as I paprticularly liked the work of Libby Stanion and I love how this idea has been connected to typography and I will definitely experiment with this idea because I do really like the combination of multiple nets to create a shape. I may also try it with shapes other than pyramids but I'm not sure how that would look.
 
[Source] p.146 The 3D Type Book
 
A further extention to above is this which I love and it would be fantastic if I could do something like this and I may try with the folding skills I learnt in my own paper experiments at home.
 
[Source] p.64 The 3d Type Book
 
This was a great find, this work is by Chris Wilkinson who is a Sheffield designer and this work was created for Sheffield Hallam. This is inspriring to me because it shows me the link between ideas, typography in 3D form and a moto to explain and idea and imagary of the idea, this helps me because I have been struggling to link things togther but now I have an idea about how. As I have said previously I like the idea of using motos to explain myself as a designer so this is also inspiring because of that.