7 February 2013

More 3D work with type

When I was in the library I found the perfect book for my project called The 3D Type Book. This was a great find because it shows all sort of different ways of showing typography in a 3D way with lots of different styles and materials, I went through the book and picked out 3D type that I liked which used paper or card.

[Source] p.132 The 3D Type Book
 
I don't think this scanned image does this as much justice as the book does but this is constructed of layers and layers of paper which get smaller and slightly offset with each layer until they reach the top, I think this would be effective as a display piece or larger pieces of work and could possibly work if my logo was initials. This could be good to experiment with but I'm not too sure how it would work with the project.
 
[Source] p.21 The 3D Type Book
 
I think this is simple but if used in the right way could be effective, it's what I would call semi-3D, this is because to me it is still rather flat and just getting away with the technical fact that it is 3D. I don't think I could make my whole design like this, or not without it becoming more of poster than a package anyway, but it could work as a possibility for an add on just like the ideas around pop-up.
 
[Source] p.105 The 3D Type Book
 
This again is what I'd call semi-3D although this is more clear that is it 3D. I just use the term semi-3D as a sort of midground between 2D and 3D because I feel like 3D has more depth and structure and is bigger when held in your hand. Anyway, the think I liked about this was not just the type but the paint or ink that has been applied to it; this is another thing which needs to be thought about is what design will appear on my 3D structure.