16 April 2013

First idea

This post is about my first idea, feedback on that in a tutorial and my response to that feedback.

I liked the idea of a dream sequence and using the pace ideas (previous post) as a base and using the objects to represent them.
I came up with the idea of having a fisherman on a boat who falls asleep and dreams (in a surrealist manner) about his surroundings and using the dark feel of the song to create a tragedy of his boat sinking. This would then end with a cliff-hanger ending which would be a fade out to represent waking up but the viewer doesn't see an awakening it is just assumed. Below is a rough sketch of this.


After putting my idea across I was told that it was very strong and I shouldn't use a character (even though focus wasn't on him) instead I should try and bring the audience into the dream by making them part of it instead of being an onlooker. I sketched out my idea again using the idea of the dream being the audience's dream. personally I don't think it is strong but i I do think it creates more tention/suspense and emotion in the viewer.