16 April 2013

New ideas

Way back at the start of the project we were asked to come up with words about how we felt about the music etc, I created a bigger list but never narrowed it down to the required 3. My 3 words are: bass,  sway and repeat. 
I think the section of the song that I have chosen suits a rhythmic abstraction piece. 

Idea 1


This is my first idea, here I have the bassline represented by rectangles which would run along the bottom of the screen for as long as that sound is present and then circles, for the melody, to contrast that which come out at different points and sizes in the area and stay for the short amount of time the sound is present. I think this is a good idea albeit simple but I think simple is good if it can be done well.

Idea 2


For this idea I came up with this "onion skin" design which has the same principle as idea 1. The rings apear when sound is present and not when sound isn't. Each ring would represent a bass or melody sound. I think this is my simplest idea and I'm not sure how it would look, it may look quite nice with the design but dull at the same time due to lack of movement.

Idea 3


My final idea is the most complicated of the three. Unlike the others which can be created in different ways this would be digital only. I was inspired by things I saw but having not seen the computer software yet I may be putting all my eggs in one basket. The idea works in the same way as the other two where a shape represents a sound, here the ribbons/wavy shape/wisp represents the bass and the puffs of smoke represent the melody. I do like the idea but it's a gamble and a challenge.