20 April 2013

Stop Motion Animation Workshop

In this workshop we use the application I Can Animate and a rostrum camera set up to take individual images which became frames in a 12fps animation. I liked this process and thought it was easy to do - it was a lot easier than when I used it for my cell animation using my iPad. We used lego blocks in our animations because it was fixed form that was easy to work with.

                   
                                               
This was the first thing I produced. I started with the yellow and then I thought I'd make a sort of gradient to add interest by adding the red, I continued doing this until the end. I think it worked well but I got a little confused with which way my slide was going.

                    
                                                     
After the workshop I made more lego animations, this being the first. I tried to experiment with a swirl pattern which was difficult to pull off with squares but I like the speed which it runs at.

                     
                                                           
This was inspired by the old game Snake. I think this runs too fast and I would have liked it to have had that old game feel, it might have worked better if I'd used a lower frame rate such as 8 or even 6 so get the effect of little breaks between movements.

                     

A few other people in the group were doing different things to me, one thing they were doing was building upwards towards the camera so I decided to try it myself. I thought it would have ran slower than this but I still like it's speed however, I don't think it has nearly enough of an effect as if it was shot from the side and mot above.

                       

This was my final creation of the day inspired by volume bars, I really like this, I think the fast speed closely mimics the volume bars on hifi systems. I think this is possibly my favourite thing I made.

I can imagine all of the above clips (apart from Snake) running in sync with music to visually demonstrate the rhythm.